lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Seeing fully expanded query, even if there's a search error
Date Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:07:42 GMT

: Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 09:56:35 -0700
: From: Mark Bennett
: Subject: Seeing fully expanded query, even if there's a search error

: This would normally be easy to fix, by looking at the expanded query in the
: web UI and then making the appropriate changes, but the error seems to short
: circuit getting back the results list, which would have shown the query.

when you say "error" what exactly do you mean?  are you getting back an
exception? an HTTP error code? a stack trace in the logs?

if you get an HTTP status code of "OK" you should be about to use
debugQuery=true even if there are no results visible.

if you get any other kind of error - then that's a bug in the dismax
parser and if you give us all the details we can try to fix it.

: I suppose there is some possibility, depending on how it's written, that
: dismax CAN'T generate a fully expanded query if there's any problem with the
: schema.  In that case I guess an (English) explanation of what dismax does
: in terms of query generation would be the backup plan.  I've certainly

it's certianly possible that a "broken" schema could break dismax ...
although the only scenerio i can think of where that wouldn't depend on a
"bug" in dismax as well is if your schema didn't match the data actually
found in your index (ie: field types not matching what's actually their)

: the options are, etc.  But what I really wanted was to understand its query
: generation logic, so that I could adapt it to my project.

this is a big fat gapping blank spot in the documentation ... largely
because everytime i've tried to explain it in the past, the answer winds
up being longer them the code.  pictures help, but my whiteboarding skills
don't map well to photoshop skills.

FWIW, i added some details to the bottom of the wiki...
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DisMaxRequestHandler#head-3f8e5bbbe05e8fb58e3a49a5888d0be32b3a09ce

-Hoss