lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Time to rationalize SolrJS Docs???]
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:09:08 GMT
Avlesh,

I think if you are looking at steps, then Matthias has reasonable
layed out where to begin!  I am actually out of town till end of next
week, so if you want to take the first crack, I'd be happy to review.
Apache is a "do-it-ocracy", so dig in!

I am actually currently using the solrstuff version of SolrJS, and
need to port to what is in contrib, so I can start testing that out.

Eric

On Jun 26, 2009, at 6:58 AM, Matthias Epheser wrote:

> Avlesh Singh schrieb:
>> I am ready to extend my helping hand Eric and Matthias for fixing
>> the docs
>> and the js-code base (if need be).
>> I have recently started using SolrJS and I feel that this contrib
>> is unable
>> to keep pace with enhancements in Solr.
>>
> I'm not up to date to severe api changes in current trunk. I think
> the main goals concerning maintainance, alongside implementing new
> widgets if someone has the practical need for them, should be (in
> that order):
>
> 1) Assure that all "base classes" that do the actuall http
> communication to solr are doing fine. (This should be no problem as
> the basic HTTP API doesn't change)
> 2) Keeping simple demo widgets for basic needs like facets etc.
> working.
> 3) Improve and organize docs according to user feedback
> 4) Implement demo widgets for NEW solr features or still uncovered
> features
> 5) Implement real world widgets (eg using third party libs like
> google maps) and share them
>
> I think of solrjs as a basic framework that encapsulates the
> communication to a solr backend ("best practices for solr and
> javascript"). The example widgets should be an introduction and
> sample code for people developing real world applications. Every
> project requires things (even slightly) different, eg. proxy servlet
> between client and solr,  different user interface guidelines etc.
> With solrjs,  there is a  "basecamp" you can start from.
>
> I think 1) and 2) are still okay, 3) is discussed in this thread
>
> 4) and 5) will grow naturally when people using it and solving real
> world problems with solrjs
>

> Do these thoughts make sense for the community?
>

> regards,
> matthias
>> I would have been an author, if not a programmer. Lemme know what
>> all to
>> write about.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Avlesh
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Matthias Epheser <
>> matthias.epheser@indoqa.com> wrote:

>>> hi there

>>> great

>>> That would be nice. As I'm stuck in non-javascript projetcs right
>>> now,
>>> there are no "new features" coming from me right now. It's also
>>> possible I
>>> missed sone questions on the mailinglist. But if there are
>>> concrete needs
>>> and questions that can be served by me, just point to me and I'm
>>> willing to
>>> help.

>>> Logically, it should be a client. I suppose there are some
>>> infrastructure
>>> issues (using third party libs for examples etc.)  that  lead to