lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From pof <MelbourneBeerBa...@gmail.com>
Subject A few Solr questions
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 02:23:43 GMT

Hi, I am fairly new to indexing and I have just written three java apps (an
indexer, a searcher and a webserver using jetty to accept POSTed queries
from a powerbuilder app). I am at the stage where I want a way to replicate
my index for backup, initially I was just going to use rsync but now I keep
hearing about Solr. Anyway, here are the questions:

- Does Solr need you to have programmed your own indexer and searcher or
does it use its own ones?
- Is there any advantages to using Solr rather than running my own indexer
in a cron job every so often and running my own jetty websever?
- Can I just use Solr's replication without the searching and caching etc.?
If so is there any advantages doing this over simply rsync?

Thanks, Brett.