lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Klaas <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DirectUpdateHandler2 threads pile up behind scheduleCommitWithin
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 19:09:16 GMT
On 7-May-09, at 10:36 AM, jayson.minard wrote:

> Does every thread really need to notify the update handler of the
> commit
> interval/threshold being reached, or really just the first thread that
> notices should send the signal, or better yet a background commit
> watching
> thread so that no "foreground" thread has to pay attention at all.
> That is
> assuming they wouldn't need to block like they are now for a reason
> I'm
> likely unaware of...

This is due to the way Lucene was designed (although recent
improvements in Lucene mean we can do better here).  See the recent
thread "Autocommit blocking adds?" on solr-user for a related
discussion.

As the person who first wrote the multi-threaded-ness of DUH2, I'd be
very happy to promptly review any improvements made to it.

-Mike