lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Solr 1.4
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 12:34:34 GMT

On May 13, 2009, at 7:04 PM, Eger, Patrick wrote:

> +2
>
> This would be very much appreciated by your users, I at least was
> expecting March :-) We were hoping to release with 1.4 (specifically
> for
> java replication and field collapsing) but had to redo some plans
> since
> it seemed to keep slipping.

It's not like anything all that magical necessarily happens with a
release.  Sure, we package up the bits and there is some legal
ramifications, I suppose, but the software is more or less the same.
In other words, most people should be fine with trunk, or some recent
revision. In fact if more people tried out trunk, it would be faster
to release b/c we would have more vetting done.

> Not complaining, just FYI on our experiences
> (it's a free product after all). A 4-6 month release schedule would be
> ideal for us, whereas it looks like it'll be ~9-10 months currently?
> Again, not complaining, just trying to get SOLR into production!

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute ;-)

-Grant