lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: mergeFactor working anymore?
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 18:20:24 GMT
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM, patrick o'leary <polearyuk@aol.com> wrote:
> Using a nightly build from 2 nights ago, which has lucene r768336 in it.
> Since then the number of segments are increasing with every index, and it's
> looking like
> mergeFactor is no longer being honored.

Is this a testcase (using the solrconfig.xml from the test directory)?
If so, I recently changed the settings to create more segments - too
many cases were resulting in a single segment, which isn't as good for
test coverage.

> e.g. have a mergeFactor of 10, but 18 segments in the index.

mergeFactor 10 means a maximum of 10 segments at each "level".
if maxBufferedDocs=10 with a log doc merge policy (equivalent to
Lucene in the old days), then you could have up to ~ 10*log10(nDocs)
segments in the index (i.e. up to 60 segments for a 1M doc index).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com