lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: LUCENE-1516 and near real time search
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 04:13:12 GMT
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1516
>>
>> Has anyone looked yet at how
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1516 might be used in Solr?
>>  Seems like it might allow us to speed up searcher turnaround.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Can't wait for it to happen myself. Part of the problem with it is that it
> counts on all of the benefits of LUCENE-1483 (per segment caches for
> reopen), and Solr has some tricky issues ahead to get there I think.

Including the fact that Solr filters, function queries, and facets are
all top-level multi-reader based.  For some things like
uninverted-field faceting, it's completely non-trivial to switch to an
incremental per-segment algorithm.

Another issue with per-segment caching is that it helps the average
case, but not the worst case... because a big segment merge can mean
throwing away most of your per-segment caches anyway, right?

Anyway, I think part of the groundwork has been laid for per-segment
caching in Solr via SolrIndexReader.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com