lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Make ant example faster
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 19:03:12 GMT
Funny you should mention it, b/c I had an idea the other day of how to
speed all this up, plus will satisfy one of my other annoyances with
the example and make it easier for people to get started (I think).
So, here goes:

Instead of a kitchen-sink example directory, we "revert" it back to
being the tutorial example.  It still can get built by ant example,
but ultimately we "deprecate" it (more later).

Then, as a replacement, we create a directory containing what I would
call Solr Templates, which contain subdirectories named appropriately
for the kind of example.  Rather than explain, I'll give an example:

The templates directory would contain the configurations (i.e.
schema.xml and solrconfig.xml) and any sample docs (but not the
libraries) for:
	tutorial - The current tutorial example
	dih - The DIH example
	extraction - Solr Cell example
	geo - geo spatial example (once 773 is committed)
	clustering - once SOLR-769 is committed
	simple - A barebones schema and config (mainly used for bootstrapping
a new project for experienced users)
	exploratory - Basically, the same as simple, but the schema defines a
single dynamic field -  Think of Hoss's Solr Out of the Box talk from
ApacheCon whereby you want to quickly explore a new data set without
having to define a schema.
	[other] -

Note, the templates directory could also live under each contrib, but
it isn't necessarily a 1-1 thing (e.g. simple and exploratory
templates are not contrib-specific).

Then, typing "ant example" would copy the necessary tutorial stuff to
the example directory (which still contains the Jetty stuff) but would
not have to recurse into any of the contribs.

Typing "ant example -Dtype=clustering"  would copy the clustering
requirements, plus go to contrib/clustering (or whatever) and get the
appropriate material such that the example directory.  Similarly for
any of the other "templates"

Additionally, you could also define -DoutputDir such that it would
take and copy the whole example directory (including the appropriate
type) to some output dir.  This would allow one to quickly bootstrap a
Solr project without having to do a lot of schema editing.

WDYT?

-Grant