lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Shalin Shekhar Mangar <shalinman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Make ant example faster
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 19:44:50 GMT
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:33 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>wrote:

> Instead of a kitchen-sink example directory, we "revert" it back to being
> the tutorial example.  It still can get built by ant example, but ultimately
> we "deprecate" it (more later).
>
> Then, as a replacement, we create a directory containing what I would call
> Solr Templates, which contain subdirectories named appropriately for the
> kind of example.  Rather than explain, I'll give an example:
>
> The templates directory would contain the configurations (i.e. schema.xml
> and solrconfig.xml) and any sample docs (but not the libraries) for:
>        tutorial - The current tutorial example
>        dih - The DIH example
>        extraction - Solr Cell example
>        geo - geo spatial example (once 773 is committed)
>        clustering - once SOLR-769 is committed
>        simple - A barebones schema and config (mainly used for
> bootstrapping a new project for experienced users)
>        exploratory - Basically, the same as simple, but the schema defines
> a single dynamic field -  Think of Hoss's Solr Out of the Box talk from
> ApacheCon whereby you want to quickly explore a new data set without having
> to define a schema.
>        [other] -
>
> Note, the templates directory could also live under each contrib, but it
> isn't necessarily a 1-1 thing (e.g. simple and exploratory templates are not
> contrib-specific).
>
> Then, typing "ant example" would copy the necessary tutorial stuff to the
> example directory (which still contains the Jetty stuff) but would not have
> to recurse into any of the contribs.
>
> Typing "ant example -Dtype=clustering"  would copy the clustering
> requirements, plus go to contrib/clustering (or whatever) and get the
> appropriate material such that the example directory.  Similarly for any of
> the other "templates"

Isn't this the same as the current setup with the name of the directory
changed and different ant targets to set them up? The new ant target will
setup the default solr instance to be 'extraction' or 'dih' or 'clustering'
and avoid the need to type -Dsolr.solr.home.

> Additionally, you could also define -DoutputDir such that it would take and
> copy the whole example directory (including the appropriate type) to some
> output dir.  This would allow one to quickly bootstrap a Solr project
> without having to do a lot of schema editing.

I like this idea. I have myself needed to do this a couple of times.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.