lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Shalin Shekhar Mangar <shalinman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributing Translations
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:23:02 GMT
On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Green Crescent Translations <
admin@greentranslations.com> wrote:

> Sure, we're actually using Solr for a project we're working on and thought
> it would be nice to lend a hand.  Great software.  Do you have any current
> translations or would this be something totally new?  I'd guess the place to
> start would be Spanish or maybe Russian.  Chinese, Japanese and French are
> also big.  I'd guess Solr can generate a whole new audience if translated
> into the right languages.
>
> Do you have an essential text that we could take a look at to start with?
>  Or maybe we could start with the website?

The website is a good start, especially the Solr tutorial page. Then there
are a couple of important wiki pages that would be great. For example,

   1. Tomcat installation page - http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat
   2. Jetty - http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrJetty
   3. Adding documents in XML -
   http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateXmlMessages
   4. DataImportHandler (this is a huge one, not everything may be needed)
   -- http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler
   5. Common Query parameters -
   http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters
   6. Simple facet params -
   http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters
   7. Using the Solrj client - http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solrj

We can also convert the comments in the example solrconfig.xml and
schema.xml to other languages as they contain very comprehensive and perhaps
the most up-to-date documentation.

I know this is a lot so please do not feel like everything here is needed :)

We should be able to pare things down quite a bit. This is also a good
opportunity to organize the documentation better and expand the tutorial to
make it more comprehensive. If we can do that, translating that one tutorial
should be good enough.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.