lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SimpleFacetParameters" by YonikSeeley
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:55:42 GMT
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> : + This parameter indicates what type of algorithm/method to use when faceting a field.
> : +
> : + The {{{enum}}} method was the default (and only) method prior to Solr1.4.  It enumerates
all terms in a field, calculating the set intersection of documents that match the term with
documents that match the query.

> ...that's not strictly true though, there was a FieldCache based approach
> that was used for non-boolean single token fields ... has that now been
> completley eliminated? ... my naive reading of hte match is that it's
> still there, and still triggered in some cases -- should we make it an
> explicit option for this new facet.method param?

I've updated the wording - hopefully it's a little clearer now.

facet.method=enum means iterate over terms and calculate set intersections.
facet.method=fc means iterate over documents matching the query,
counting up terms.  This did exist for single valued fields, and now
also exists for multi-valued fields.  The implementation is different
of course, but I don't think we need more control over that.  If
anything the single-valued implementation could be made a little more
efficient w.r.t memory use.

-Yonik