lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] LOGO
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 04:49:33 GMT
I don't think STV makes much sense unless we are picking more then
one.  The key in STV is that the extra votes for the "winner" get
passed on to the choice.  Since there really is not a next choice it
does not help.

Instant Runoff however does make sense.  We cycle through the votes
and at each "round" toss out the losing candidate.  In each round,
everyone gets to vote for their top choice of available candidates
until something has a majority or no other candidates are left.  If
there is a tie at the end, the STV tally can break the tie.

We could rank more then 4 to ensure that the rounds could go
longer...  but i hope that is not necessary.  For things to work out
though it is important that everyone vote for the same number of
choices.