lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ्" <noble.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we use Berkley DB java in Solr
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:20:02 GMT
On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2008, at 1:28 AM, Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् wrote:
>
>> The code can be written against JDBC. But we need to test the DDL and
>> data types on al the supported DBs
>>
>> But , which one would we like to ship with Solr as a default option?
>
> Why do we need a default option?  Is this something that is intended to be
> on by default?  Or, do you mean just to have one for unit tests to work?
Default does not mean that it is enabled bby default. But if it is
enabled I can have defaults for stuff like driver, url , DDL etc. And
the user may not need to provide an extra jar

> I don't know if it is still the case, but I often find embedded dbs to be
> quite annoying since you often can't connect to them from other clients
> outside of the JVM which makes debugging harder.  Of course, maybe I just
> don't know the tricks to do it.  Derby is one DB that you can still connect
> to even when it is embedded.
Embedded is the best bet for us because of performance reasons and
zero management.
The users can still read the data through Solr itself .

> Also, whatever is chosen needs to scale to millions of documents, and I
> wonder about an embedded DB doing that.  I also have a hard time believing
> that both a DB w/ millions of docs and Solr can live on the same machine,
> which is presumably what an embedded DB must do.  Presumably, it also needs
> to be able to be replicated, right?
millions of docs.?
then you must configure a remote DB for storage reasons
and must manage the replication separately

>> H2 looks impressive. the jar (small)  is just 667KB and the memory
>> footprint is small too
>> --Noble
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> check http://www.h2database.com/  in my view the best embedded DB out
>>> there.
>>>
>>> from the maker of HSQLDB...  is second round.
>>>
>>> However, from anything solr, I would hope it would just rely on JDBC.

>> --
>> --Noble Paul

> Grant Ingersoll
>
> Lucene Helpful Hints: