lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Ruben Jimenez (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (SOLR-857) Memory Leak during the indexing of large xml files
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:12:44 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-857?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12649374#action_12649374
] 

Ruben Jimenez commented on SOLR-857:
------------------------------------

Sorry I've been sick all week and am just getting back on my feet today.

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue by duplicating a single file and modifying it to
allowDups.  i've also tried by duplicating a random set of about 3 files.  

By looking through the heap dump I noticed that the "$Norms" memory usage was pretty high,
so I modified the schema to have the text field omitNorms.  This helped but simply delayed
the problem.

As of right now we believe that the issue might be related to the fact that we are creating
a large number of dynamic fields, hence the large number of FieldInfo instances in memory
in the heap dump.  I'll try to see what is the minimum number of files required to reproduce
the issue, but I have a feeling it will be on the order of 23 or so.  

> Memory Leak during the indexing of large xml files
> --------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-857
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-857
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 1.3
>         Environment: Verified on Ubuntu 8.0.4 (1.7GB RAM, 2.4GHz dual core) and Windows
XP (2GB RAM, 2GHz pentium) both with a Java5 SDK
>            Reporter: Ruben Jimenez
>         Attachments: OQ_SOLR_00001.xml.zip, schema.xml, solr256MBHeap.jpg
>
>
> While indexing a set of SOLR xml files that contain 5000 document adds within them and
are about 30MB each, SOLR 1.3 seems to continually use more and more memory until the heap
is exhausted, while the same files are indexed without issue with SOLR 1.2.
> Steps used to reproduce.
> 1 - Download SOLR 1.3
> 2 - Modify example schema.xml to match fields required
> 3 - start example server with following command java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
-jar start.jar
> 4 - Index files as follow java -Xmx128m -jar .../examples/exampledocs/post.jar *.xml
> Directory with xml files contains about 100 xml files each of about 30MB each.  While
indexing after about the 25th file SOLR 1.3 runs out of memory, while SOLR 1.2 is able to
index the entire set of files without any problems.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message