lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: replace stax API with Geronimo-stax+Woodstox
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 15:47:18 GMT
Yeah, unfortunately, we can't release with IP issues like this.   
However, Woodstox actually looks to be quite nice from a quick  
glance.  It's ASL.  It's actively maintained (Stax is not).  The  
downside, of course, is we have virtually no running time w/ it.

On Sep 9, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar
> <> wrote:
>> We have released with StaX earlier. We have never tested in  
>> production
>> environments with woodstox. Even though I doubt there will be a  
>> problem but
>> we can never know unless we use it. Let's not delay 1.3 anymore. We  
>> can make
>> this change for 1.4
> Careful tracking and handling of IP rights is paramount at Apache.
> Knowingly releasing something with questionable IP, when a drop-in
> replacement exists, is something that could bring the ASF Board
> crashing down on us (rightfully so).  So unless some things are
> cleared up on legal-discuss, I'm afraid I'm -1 on releasing in current
> form.
> (hey, is that my first -1 at Apache after all these years?)
> -Yonik

View raw message