lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Henrib <hbies...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration features, Solr2/Spring & Solr1.x future
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:52:56 GMT

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I like how you summarized my post :)

Trying to get to the gist of it. ;)

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I haven't given any consideration to exactly what kind of API changes
> are needed, but certainly being able to build an IndexSchema without
> XML being involved would be the result of such a refactoring.

Let's say hypothetically that a stubborn contributor issues a patch along
those lines: {Solr,SolrConfig,SolrSchema}Descriptor classes that capture
what is currently defined through XML in a Java way, uses JXPath to avoid
rewriting the init code that does exist and some parsers so the current XML
could still be used to instantiate those classes, would that be considered
an acceptable base?

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Though not entirely sure about all configuration being a "contrib".
> Practically speaking we still want Solr to have some kind of defacto
> "out of the box" experience...

Ok, "contrib" was pushing it a little but say a different jar; the core Solr
code in one and the default configurator in another ?

Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Solr is a search server, and (re)inventing configurators really belongs
> elsewhere.

Gotcha.