lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Henrib <hbies...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration features, Solr2/Spring & Solr1.x future
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:43:42 GMT

Now, that's clearer! :-)

Erik Hatcher wrote:

>>> actually, configuration _should_ be code :)
> The above shows a way to programmatically create ...
> ...affect settings could be done without resorting to XML gymnastics.
> ... dynamic  configuration...
>  it's that XML middleman  that annoys me.

So, if we were to have Java classes equivalents of what is contained in
solr.xml, schema.xml or solrconfig.xml, would that be enough (or at least a
good enough first step)? Say a SchemaDescriptor and SolrConfigDescriptor
where all the XML attributes & nodes would be transformed into their Java
equivalents, would this fit your dynamic needs ?

This alone would allow to completely configure a Solr installation without
any file, only code. And serializing in from XML to instances of these would
still be possible; this could almost imply that XML configuration would
become a "contrib". For that matter, even Spring configuration whether
programmatic or XML could be a contrib.

And this would pave the way to "externalize" integration/deployment
features.
Am I getting this more or less correctly ?