lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rename multicore.xml ?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:33:21 GMT

On Aug 11, 2008, at 5:47 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>> I don't really drink from the "Spring would solve all our config/init
>> problems" Kool-Aid
>
> Me neither, even though I'm a proponent of Solr aiming in that
> direction.  In fact, I think Spring has the potential to make it
> much more convoluted/complicated to configure Solr (depending on how
> it's done).

Yeah, I think we should choose the more complicated, convoluted
route... :-)

> Spring-centric thinking benefits Solr by aiding in the design of
> things like IndexSchema and SolrConfig - such that they would not
> have a dependency/requirement that XML be involved at all.
>
> Springifying Solr doesn't mean littering Solr with Spring
> dependencies - it really should be vastly cleaner than that, such
> that Spring is NOT required to configure Solr at all (and this is
> the design benefit I see possible).

Yes, this is how I see it too.  I don't think we need all of Spring's
extra layers (MVC, JDBC, etc).  I think the IOC layer, means we don't
need Spring at all if one wants to wire things up themselves.

Yet, many people clearly want XML config, so in my mind, Spring brings
some standardization to the game and gets us out of the config game
and allows us to focus on actually improving Solr's search
capabilities instead of having a gazillion different ways to init an
object.

-Grant