lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "SolrTomcat" by NoblePaul
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:26:26 GMT

: Some feedback from the user base. We build Solr from source (to include our
: site-specific customisations), and modify the web.xml before it goes into

I wouldn't categorize you as a basic user of Solr -- you know java,
you write customizations and you build Solr from source.  You'd probably
consider building Solr from source even if you weren't going to customize
it.  you sir are not a "Solr User" you are a "Solr Hacker"

We have to be aware that there is a large population of Solr users that
don't know anything about *writing* java -- nor should they.  It's enough
that they learn about *running* java (and if they use a freindly servlet
container, they don't even need to know that)

hence the importance of keeping information about "using solr" and
"configuring solr" simple for non-Java speakers.

-Hoss