lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [important] call for 1.3 planning
Date Mon, 26 May 2008 16:50:53 GMT

: I don't know exactly what Hoss has in mind, but for one thing it would mean we
: would need to support this in the future.

As a general rule, and time you make *any* class public if it was
previously protected (or non-final if it was previously final) you need to
do a holistic review of all the protected and private methods/variables in
that class to assess:
  1) does the current access level make sense if people subclass this class?
  2) does the access level of anything else in this class need to change
     in order for this to be useful to a subclass?
  3) is this an API we are willing to support in the future?

As a general rule, you also shouldn't have a class that you expect/allow
people to subclass without also having at least one subclass in the code
base -- if nothing else: a subclass that exists just in a test to prove
that subclassing "works".

This is just the basics for making a vanilla class non-final (and or
public) ... it doesn't even get into the bigger API questions we should
ask before making a whole new type of "pluggable" class.

-Hoss