lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Henrib <hbies...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr Logging
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:46:02 GMT

I've no opinion on the respective merits of logging frameworks but not
having the choice causes deployment difficulties.
IMHO, the core issue is that JUL configuration is container dependant
(Tomcat JULI allows per-webapp logging.properties configuration, what about
Websphere ?), not application/war dependant which is more
convenient/generic.

I've posted  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-549 SOLR-549  that
preserves the JUL choice as an API but adds/refactors some code so the
application packaging can choose what to do.
But doing this is not really different than switching to another logging API
(slf4j rather than commons if we go that way).