lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Spell checking ?'s
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:11:31 GMT
Yeah, context can play a role, but that is up to the Analyzer used to
determine.  I will open a JIRA issue to address the problem as it
exists now and a fix to do the analysis before submitting the terms.

-Grant

On Feb 22, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Sean Timm wrote:

> Sometimes context can play into the correct spelling of a term.  I
> haven't looked at the 1.3 spell check stuff, but it would be nice to
> do term n-gramming in order to check the terms in context.
>
> Since Otis brought up Google, here is an example of putting the term
> into context.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=choudhury
> http://www.google.com/search?q=abdur+choudhury
>
> -Sean
>
> Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>> Haven't used SCRH in a while, but what you are describing sounds
>> right (thinking about how Google does it) - each word should be
>> checked separately and we shouldn't assume splitting on
>> whitespace.  I'm trying to think if there are cases where you'd
>> want to look at the surrounding terms instead of looking at each
>> term in isolation.... can think of anything exciting....maybe
>> ensure that words with dashes are properly handled.
>>
>> Otis
>> --
>> Sematext -- http://sematext.com/ -- Lucene - Solr - Nutch

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com
Next Training: April 7, 2008 at ApacheCon Europe in Amsterdam

Lucene Helpful Hints: