lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Krugler <kkrugler_li...@transpac.com>
Subject Re: maven + solr
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:50:16 GMT
>Hello!  Hope you all are having nice holidays.  let me lob another
>idea out there and see if you think I'm crazy...
>
>How do you all feel about changing the directory layout so it plays
>nicely with maven?  While we are at it, how do you feel about
>switching to maven for the primary build system?
>
>My reasons to suggest this are:
>1. working with maven artifacts makes plugin/app development loads easier.
>2. maintaining multiple build systems simultaneously seems like a
>pain (I can't quite figure out how the lucene maven stuff works...
>it seems overly complicated though)
>3. For SOLR-303, solr-core needs to depend on solrj -- we can do
>this with a simple change to build.xml, but it leaves us with a
>directory structure that does not reflect the real dependencies.  It
>seems like a restructuring is called for regardless of the build
>system.
>4. Using maven, we can quickly add other nice build features like
>clover, pmd, eclipse, and idea support.
>5. Assuming we stick with cwiki for the the site release, we need to
>figure out how to include the auto-export in our distribution.
>

>The concerns I have heard about maven are:
>1. past experience was awful, lets not go there
>2. solr sometimes depends on snapshot builds
>
>#1, I can't really argue with - My past experience with maven (a
>long time ago) was terrible too.  All my recent work with maven2 has
>been incredibly smooth.
>
>#2, with maven, we can still put in hand built jar files, it is just
>not the best practice.  Currently, the only dependency that we can't
>pull from a standard repository is: commons-csv-0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
>

>In SOLR-19, I just uploaded a proof of concept layout/pom structure
>with 4 artifacts:
>    1. solr-common (jar)
>    2. solr-client (jar)
>    3. solr-core (jar)
>    4. solr-server (war)
>The one thing that is strange about our dependency graph is that
>many of the tests for 'solr-client' depend on 'solr-server' and
>'solr-core', so they would probably be in that package.
>
>Is this something worth pursuing?  Would we rather stick with ant
>and either have maven build unofficial artifacts or jump through
>lucene style hoops?

My input on this...

* Providing a Maven2 build would be useful for us. Currently when we
modify Solr, we do an Ant build and then manually push the resulting
jar to our in-house Maven repo, which works but isn't all that clean.

* So I'd be in favor of changing the directory layout, but only for
my own selfish reasons :)

* I wouldn't be in favor of changing the build to rely on Maven2. We
use Maven internally at Krugle, and sometimes it works well, and
other times it's a royal pain in the butt. So having it as an option
would be nice, and handy for me personally, but I'd hate to foist
Maven on everybody else.

-- Ken
--
Ken Krugler