lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Intuition check
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:14:57 GMT
On Nov 10, 2007 8:48 PM, Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:
> : I've since considered trying out a SortedIntSet since they would be
> : both smaller, and usable in skipTo.
>
> If you think it's worth doing, then it probably is.

It's complicated...
- SortedIntSet would be about 44% smaller on average
- random lookups would be significantly slower (but it's unclear how
many random lookups need to be done)
- intersection of 2 SortedIntSets of near equal size should be slightly faster
- intersection of 2 SortedIntSets of different sizes will be slower
- intersection of a SortedIntSet with a BitSet will be slightly faster
- intersection of a small uncached int list with a large SortedIntSet
will be slower (think facet.enum.cache.minDf)

Anyway, this is just something to keep in mind...  there are bigger
fish to fry right now.

-Yonik