lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Intuition check
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2007 00:34:35 GMT

: First, how to determine whether the filter-embedding would be effective?  We
: really available.  It can be estimated assuming the filter and query are
: independent, but this definitely isn't always true.  If the filter

I was assuming we could use a simple hueristic...
    if( configOption < docSet.size()/numDocs() )

: Second, embedding the filter itself.  This is much more nettlesome within
: SolrIndexSearcher than within one of the request handlers.  One problem is the

really?  why should it be?

anything the request handler can do to much with the Query object
SolrIndexSearcher can do as well .. and by the time
getDocListNC/getDocListAndSetNC are called the "pure negative" issues are
alrady resolved.

The only difference is that in those methods we already have a DocSet
(instead of a Query) but it should be easy to wrap a DocSet in a Query to
add to the main query.

: ISTM then that the main challenge is in determining when the filter
: intersection should be embedded.  Also, the ability to control filter caching
: is still difficult with this implementation, but perhaps that's less
: important.

yeah ... it seems like there are two orthoginal use cases...
  1) "here is an 'fq', i know it's not worth caching" ... in which we
     don't put it in the filterCache.
  2) "here is an 'fq'" ... in which we get the DocSet and add it to the
     main query if it's small.

for any given input, 1 and 2 might both apply, or just 1, or just 2

-Hoss