lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Daniels <ddani...@rooftophq.com>
Subject Re: difficulty using SolrHighlighter with programmatic parameters
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:26:53 GMT

I'm doing a lot of user- and social-network specific search, where the query
fields, selected field list, sorting, and highlighting are are dependent on
who is searching.  I'm trying to abstract that complexity behind a simpler
request interface than the usual dismax one, allowing me to say something
like user=123 rather than specifying each of the parameters to craft the
search.  This is important because I expect to have multiple clients hitting
solr, and would like to avoid crafting complex, dynamic queries in multiple
places.

I like the idea of using the standard fixtures in solrconfig.xml, but it
doesn't fit one requirement I need, which is to change the fragment size for
user-specific fields.  In my schema, these fields have dynamic names
containing the user ID, so I can't specify them ahead of time in the
solrconfig w/o using some sort of wildcard-ish scheme.  At that point, it
seems expedient to switch over to programmatic definition rather than
declarative in the XML.

I dropped a patch that just adds SolrParams in JIRA 406, but agree that it's
more clear to list out the elements we need from the request individually,
if a bit verbose.  I start getting a bad feeling when a method takes 7
parameters.  That said, is there any why the SolrHighlighter behaves like a
Singleton right now?  Seems that this would be easier if it took parameters
in a constructor rather than to each method.

Thanks,
-d