lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject requestsPerSecond, averageResponseTime
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:26:31 GMT
requestsPerSecond and averageResponseTime were added to statistics for
each response handler.  Are these statistics really useful enough to
keep as-is?

averageResponseTime is cumulative since the server started, so it's
not useful for monitoring purposes, but only benchmarking purposes (it
won't tell you if your queries are getting slower all of a sudden).
(it will also count slower warming queries, not just live queries).

requestsPerSecond is likewise flawed... it won't let you detect a
flood of traffic or a dropoff.  Also, if you turned off traffic to the
server yesterday, that will continue to be reflected in the
requestsPerSecond today.

Since it seems like these parameters are only useful for benchmarking
(which can easily be done from log files), perhaps we should defer
adding them until we can come up with versions that are useful for
monitoring?

-Yonik