lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: solr release planning for 1.2
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2007 17:04:39 GMT
Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm certainly on board with adding a requestHandler mapping for
>> "/update",
>> > but i'm not sure how i feel about changing it under the covers ...
>>
>> I'm suggesting we keep /update mapped to SolrUpdateServlet in web.xml,
>> but map:
>>
>>   <requestHandler name="/update" class="solr.XmlUpdateRequestHandler" >
>
> +1
>
>> I am not sure what we should do with the DispatchFilter handle-select
>> parameter:
>>     <init-param>
>>       <param-name>handle-select</param-name>
>>       <param-value>true</param-value>
>>     </init-param>
>
> Why do we need this parameter?  I thought that /select through
> DispatchFilter would be backward compatible with the servlet's current
> handling?  If that's the case, just have dispatch handle it and be
> done with it.

Since writing this, I added SOLR-204 - this lets you configure if the
DispatchFilter will handle select in solrconfig.xml rather then web.xml

If the configuration is in solrconfig.xml, we can set the example to use
the dispatcher but still leave the option of the 'old' style servlet if
that is desired.  The only real difference between them is how errors
are returned.  The dispatcher calls req.sendError( code, msg ) while the
servlet writes them out directly (causing them to be hidden by IE/FF)

SOLR-204 removes the <init-param>