lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Changing Logging in Solr to Apache Commons Logging
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 22:59:10 GMT

: yes it would be nice if there configuration could be easier because all
: applications used the same logging framework, but i see no reason to
: assume that every other application people are using is using
: commons-logging ... jdk logging is simple and standardized: it is by
: definition included in every java 1.5 servlet container in existence
: because it is by definiteion included in every java 1.5 jvm ... i can't
: really see a reason to change a lot of code to use a logging framework
: that *adds* a new dependency.

Since i would by no means consider myself an expert on commons-logging, i
wanted to do a little research to ensure that I wasn't missing osmething
really obvious abotu why we *should* be using commons-logging.

I freely admit, I didn't appricate how much commons-logging is intended to
be a middle-layer API for other arbitrary logging frameworks like JDK
logging or log4j, but i still don't think it makes sense to switch,
particulararly given the last paragraph of this wiki...

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Commons_Logging_FUD

-Hoss