lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: loading many documents by ID
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 19:18:39 GMT
On 2/1/07, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have something working that adds a 'mode' to AddUpdateCommand.  The
> modes I need are:

Feel free to suggest replacements for the UpdateCommand classes if
things become cumbersome.

> REPLACE_DOCUMENT
> REPLACE_FIELDS
> REPLACE_DISTINCT_FIELDS
> ADD_FIELDS
> ADD_DISTINCT_FIELDS

What does "distinct" mean in this context?

There is a lot of processing going on inside Document Builder.
Once you get to the UpdateCommand, you have already lost some
information (copyFields have executed, some things have been converted
to index form, etc).

I would think one would also want to specify things per field.

- append this value to this field
- increment the value of this field
- append this value to this field
- overwrite this field

CSV/SQL handlers could define these per-field for multiple docs
(column) for a request.

XML could define per-field instance if we want, or we might want to
restrict per field (column) for a single request.

-Yonik