lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: resin and UTF-8 in URLs
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:57:31 GMT
: I am only suggesting it for GET requests where the params are pulled
: off the query string.  Apparently, UTF-8 is the *only* ok URL encoding
:
: http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-code.html
:
: It is strange, that resin and tomcat don't observe this unless it is
: specified as the default encoding.  If it can't hurt anything, i think
: its a good idea for solr.

my point is that we should not be trying to work arround any bugs / bad
defaults in the servlet containers -- especially if the only way to do it
prevents the possibility of a user explicitly telling us what charset they
want to use, and we ignore them.  At the moment it might not seem like it
can hurt anything, but it might cause problems we haven't thought of (if
not now, then in the future) and it doesn't acctually "fix" any bug in
Solr -- if it's not our bug, we should just document it as an issue some
servlet contains have.

if nothing else it might contribute to a users choice as to what serlet
container to use -- it's not our job to shield users from bad servlet
container implementations.

-Hoss