lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: resin and UTF-8 in URLs
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:14:54 GMT

: If we can do something small that makes the most normal cases work
: even if the container is not configured, that seems good.

but how do we know the user wants what we consider a "normal cases" to
work? ... if every servlet container lets you configure your default
charset differently, we have no easy way to tell if/when they've
configured the default properly, to know if we should override it.

If someone does everything in Shift-JIS, and sets up their servlet
container with Shift-JIS as their default, and installs solr -- i don't
want them to think Solr sucks because there is a default in Solr they
don't know about (or know how to disable) that assumes UTF-8.

On the other hand: if someone really hasn't thought about charsets at all,
then it doesn't seem that bad to use whatever default their servlet
container says to use -- as I understand it some containers (tomcat
included) pick their default based on the JVMs
configuration (i assume from the "user.language" sysproperty) ... that
certainly seems like a better default then for us ot asume UTF-8 -- even
if it is "latin1" for "en", because most novice users are probably okay
with latin1 ... if you're starting to worry about more complex characters
that aren't in the default charset your servlet container picks for you,
then reading a little documentation is a good idea.

: At the very lease, we should change the examples in:
: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrResin etc

oh absolutely.

-Hoss