lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: resin and UTF-8 in URLs
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:04:06 GMT

: > : >  request.setCharacterEncoding ("utf-8")

: > ...my reading of the servlet spec was that request.setCharacterEncoding
: > only impacted request *body* data, not the URL.

: > According to the javadocs for it, using it also means that if the client
: > is well behaved and *does* set a charset in the Content-Type it will be
: > ignored.
:
: Content-Type for a GET?

oh ... so you guys were suggesting we only call
request.setCharacterEncoding explicitly on a GET request?

hmmm...

1) in theory, a GET request can have Content-Type
2) as i said, i don't see anything in the servlet spec that says
request.setCharacterEncoding should have any effect on how the URL is
parsed -- servlet containers may use it that way, but the spec explicitly
says "body" of the request.

>From what i've seen, URLs are allways suppose to be UTF-8 (RFC 3986
aparently makes this crystal clear but i haven't read it to verify) which
is probably why the servlet spec only talks about the character encoding for
the body.  if a servlet container isn't doing that properly, then we
shouldn't try to work arround it -- we should just document it the wiki
pages for the various major servlet containers.

-Hoss