lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: resin and UTF-8 in URLs
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:12:22 GMT

: > should we add:
: >  request.setCharacterEncoding ("utf-8")
: > to GET requests in StandardRequestParser?
:
: Perhaps.  I wonder if there's any performance impact, and if it fixes
: Tomcat's default of latin1 too.

see my comments in the related thread about POST...

http://www.nabble.com/charset-in-POST-from-browser-tf3153057.html#a8744560

...my reading of the servlet spec was that request.setCharacterEncoding
only impacted request *body* data, not the URL.

According to the javadocs for it, using it also means that if the client
is well behaved and *does* set a charset in the Content-Type it will be
ignored.

Solr users should be able to pick their encoding as much as possible -- so
we definitely shouldnt' do anything that overrides the charset specified
in the request (if there is one) but we also shoudn't hardcode UTF-8
anywhere if possible ... the default charset should come from some config
-- either the solrconfig or the servlet containers config.

it seems like every servlet container has some way of configuring the
default, so we should just rely on that and not add our own default

:
: -Yonik
:

-Hoss