lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wunderw...@netflix.com>
Subject Re: resin and UTF-8 in URLs
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:28:47 GMT
Let's not make this complicated for situations that we've never
seen in practice. Java is a Unicode language and always has been.
Anyone running a Java system with a Shift-JIS default should already
know the pitfalls, and know them much better than us (and I know a
lot about Shift-JIS).

The URI spec says UTF-8, so we can be compliant and tell people
to fix their code. If they need to add specific hacks for their
broken software, that is OK. We don't need generic design features
for a few broken clients.

RFC 3896 has been out for two years now. That is long enough for
decently-maintained software to get it right.

wunder