lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: fieldtype -> fieldType
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 02:10:57 GMT

On Feb 1, 2007, at 4:32 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On 2/1/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
>> A #code4libber made this comment a moment ago:
>>
>>      "(nitpick) when you finalize the DTD for schema.xml, could you
>> make fieldtype camel-case like the others. Or make the others lower-
>> case."
>>
>> I nixed the thought of a DTD, but it does look funny now that I look
>> at it.
>
> I agree the inconsistency isn't ideal.
> What's your preference... all camel case or all lower?

I think camelCase is fine since it'd only require one place to be
changed instead of others.  Doesn't matter to me at all personally...
I'll tinker with schema.xml to tweak it, so as long as the example
schema.xml is solid and consistent I'm happy.  And, maybe, just maybe
schema.xml will be generated from a user-interface driven model...
hmmmm.... I'm still on the fence on whether schema.xml should be
generated or generic, or a hybrid somehow.

>>  Perhaps we can modify it to be case-insensitive (to keep
>> backwards compatibility)?   Or if it already is case-insensitive we
>> should make the example schema.xml's to be consistent.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> It is case sensitive, but it shouldn't be too hard to make things
> consistent and keep back compatiblity, and performance doesn't matter
> since it's parsing at startup.   Then we should erase every trace of
> the old style in the docs and example.

+1

	Erik