lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: finer granularity of configuration
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 00:59:14 GMT
Hi,

----- Original Message ----
From: Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org>

On 2/15/07, Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sorry, this was meant for Erik (relates to some direct emails).  Now everyone knows my
secret desire: 1 Solr to serve N indices with the same config, just a different directory.
 I'm thinking Simpy here:
>    http://simpy-index-server/solr/search/erik/links?q=ruby
>    http://simpy-index-server/solr/search/otis/notes?q=recipe
>    http://simpy-index-server/solr/search/otis/links?q=cookies
> Where each of this is really a separate Lucene index: erik's links index, otis' notes
index, and otis' links index.

Each user has a separate index???  While this makes for fast search
within a single user, don't you ever need to search across all of them
at once?

OG: Most searches are going against a single user's data, so a separate index works well for
that.  A separate index is also good to have in case something gets foobared - a lot less
data to reindex.
OG: A separate index is used for searching across all users.  This index has a different structure
(fields, analyzer, update rates...)

OG: How hard would it be to add support for multiple indices?  Having 1 Solr for N indices
+ an "index location resolver" would, I think, really allow one to scale a number of indices
over a number of Solr servers:

client --- http://resolver/search/?q=... ---> resolves  & dispatches to the right Solr
server --> solrN

Each Solr instance is a front end to a number of indices.  Of course, the resolver could be
completely internal (in-JVM).

Otis