lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan McKinley" <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: resin and UTF-8 in URLs
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:29:59 GMT

> : If we can do something small that makes the most normal cases work
> : even if the container is not configured, that seems good.
>
> but how do we know the user wants what we consider a "normal cases" to
> work? ... if every servlet container lets you configure your default
> charset differently, we have no easy way to tell if/when they've
> configured the default properly, to know if we should override it.

I am only suggesting it for GET requests where the params are pulled
off the query string.  Apparently, UTF-8 is the *only* ok URL encoding

http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-code.html

It is strange, that resin and tomcat don't observe this unless it is
specified as the default encoding.  If it can't hurt anything, i think
its a good idea for solr.

> : At the very lease, we should change the examples in:
> : http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrResin etc
>
> oh absolutely.

done