lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Ryan McKinley" <>
Subject Re: loading many documents by ID
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:55:30 GMT
What I think I'm seeing is two validation options:

1.  Set the "updateable" fields explicitly in the schema.
<field name="name" type="text" updateable="true" indexed="true" stored="true"/>

* throw an exception at startup if an updateable field is not stored.
If somewhere down the road we figure out how to efficiently handled
unstored fields, we can remove this error.
* when 'updating', only copy the fields marked 'updateable'
* If someone sends an 'update' request and there are no fields marked
updateable, return an error

2. Assume all stored fields that are not copied to are 'updateable'
* return an error if someone sends an 'update' request and there are
no stored fields

I vote for option #1 -- although most configurations that want to
'update' fields will probably mark all stored fields as 'updateable',
it seems valuable to make the schema designer explicitly specify what
will happen on an 'update'

Is there a better word then 'update'? It seems there is already enough
confusion between UpdateHandlers, "Update Plugins",
UpdateRequestHandler etc.

In this case "update" makes sense as it is the SQL equivolent.

I have something working that adds a 'mode' to AddUpdateCommand.  The
modes I need are:

View raw message