lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Schneider <Sch...@TransPac.com>
Subject Re: Ant build.xml for solr-base (v1.1.0) broken?
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:10:36 GMT
Chris H.,

>Chris: As mentioned in the Solr FAQ, (and the Ant FAQ) for proper
>JUnit/Ant integration, the JUnit jars need to be in the ANT_HOME/lib
>directory.  (the build file was modified just after 1.1.0 was released to
>make this error more informative).  If JUnit is installed in this way, no
>special classpath settings are needed for the <javac> tasks to work
>properly.  (Are you finidng that this is not the case on your system?)
>
>(the javadoc path hoopla you noticed is for dealing with the fact that
>unlike <javac>, the  <javadoc> task does not automatically inherit any
>classpath elements from ant)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still not sure why you decided to let Ant control the version
of JUnit that Solr gets to use (by expecting the JUnit JAR to be in ANT_HOME/lib). My Eclipse
installation places the Ant and JUnit JARs into different folders within its plugins/ folder,
so it would seem awkward for me to put another copy of the JUnit JAR into my ANT_HOME/lib/.
I would imagine that different projects might want to use different versions of JUnit, which
is why other projects I've used (e.g., Nutch, Hadoop) typically put the JUnit JAR into their
own lib/ folders. Would you please elaborate on why doing so in the Solr project would make
for improper JUnit/Ant integration?

Thanks,

- Chris S.

--