lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update Plugins (was Re: Handling disparate data sources in Solr)
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:35:55 GMT
On 1/21/07, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't think i'll have time to look at your new patch today, design wise
> > i think you are right, but there was still stuff that needed to be
> > refactored out of core.update and into the UpdateHandler wasn't there?
> >

> Yes, I avoided doing that in an effort to minimize refactoring and
> focus just on adding ContentStreams to RequestHandlers.

Sounds like a good idea.  It's easier to review and process in smaller
steps if practical.

> I just posted (yet another) update to SOLR-104.  This one moves the
> core.update logic into UpdateRequestHander, and adds some glue to make
> old request behave as they used to.

Cool!

> I also deprecated the exception in SolrQueryResponse.  Handlers should
> throw the exception, not put it in the response.  (If you want error
> messages, put that in the response, not the exception)

Agreed.  I can't for the life of me remember *why* I did that.
I think it was because I thought ResponseHandlers might format the exception.

> >  3) there's a comment in RequestHandlerBase.init about "indexOf" that
> > comes form the existing impl in DismaxRequestHandler -- but doesn't match
> > the new code ... i also wasn't certain that the change you made matches
> > the old semantics for dismax (i don't think we have a unit test for that
> > case)
>
> When you get a chance to look at the patch, can you investigate this.
> I just copied the code from DismaxRequestHandler and made sure it
> passes the tests.  I don't totally understand what that case is doing.

The first iteration of dismax (before we did generic defaults,
invariants, etc for request handlers) took defaults directly from the
init params, and that is what that case is checking for and
replicating.... if there isn't a "defaults" in the list, it assumes
the entire list is defaults.

It's only needed for dismax since other handlers didn't support
"defaults" until later.

-Yonik