lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Edward Summers <...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: solrb releases
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:01:01 GMT

On Jan 24, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> What I'd like to do is get Apache moved towards being Ruby savvy.
> The ideal, to me, is getting deployments of releases to work
> cleanly with "gem install" from the Apache infrastructure.  No
> offense to rubyforge at all (hi Rich and Tom!), I'm aiming
> idealistically at making apache.org a 1st class Ruby software player.

That sounds great, but I would be inclined to go with the flow of the
ruby community if you want your gem to fit into it. Just my opinion
though--I've expressed it and now I won't say it again.

> It's a good question.  My take was to call the .gem solrb, but the
> library itself is solr, which is how it currently is set up.  I'm
> not quite sure though.  I'm agile, and can be convinced to change it.

Well having a gem named solrb and a library named solr is confusing
IMHO. I've done this myself in the past and regretted the
inconsistency. But hey, I don't really care enough to try to convince
you any more than I have tried already.

//Ed