lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: facet.missing?
Date Thu, 25 Jan 2007 02:42:25 GMT

On Jan 23, 2007, at 4:52 PM, J.J. Larrea wrote:
> In fact, it would probably please too-lazy-to-translate-facet-value-
> strings front-end coders if there were a way to provide a label for
> the missing count, e.g.
>
>     <str name="facet.missinglabel">None</str>
>     <str name="f.author.facet.missinglabel">No authorship
> indicated</str>

There is much more to facet name mapping for display in the grand
scheme of things.  I18N is something I'm interested in building into
Flare such that facets get returned and looked up for the proper
label in the users locale.  I think having a missing label feature is
unnecessary at this point.  We're already on parameter overload as it
is, so pushing back on new ones seems prudent.

> Or better yet facet.missing itself could be a string rather than a
> boolean, with the missing count suppressed if it is undefined,
> null, 'false', or empty, and 'true' enabling it with a null label
> for reverse compatibility.

It's too risky that the string would correspond with a value in the
facet field too, which would cause confusion or even an error if the
client was expecting unique values.

	Erik