lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Walter Underwood (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] Commented: (SOLR-73) schema.xml and solrconfig.xml use CNET-internal class names
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2006 00:05:23 GMT
    [ ] 
Walter Underwood commented on SOLR-73:

The context required to resolve the ambiguity is a wiki page that I didn't know existed. Since
I didn't know about it, I tried to figure it out by reading the code, and then by sending
e-mail to the list. In my case, I was writing two tiny classes, but the issue would be the
same if I was a non-programmer adding some simple plug-ins.

With a full class name, there is no ambiguity. Again, this saves typing at the cost of requiring
an indirection through some unspecified documentation.

I saw every customer support e-mail for eight years with Ultraseek, so I'm pretty familiar
with the problems that search engine admins run into. 
One of the things we learned was that documentation doesn't fix an unclear product. You fix
the product instead of documenting how to understand it.

Requiring users to edit an XML file is a separate issue, but I think it is a serious problem,
especially because any error messages show up in the server logs. 

> schema.xml and solrconfig.xml use CNET-internal class names
> -----------------------------------------------------------
>                 Key: SOLR-73
>                 URL:
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: search
>            Reporter: Walter Underwood
> The configuration files in the example directory still use the old CNET-internal class
names, like solr.LRUCache instead of  This is confusing to
new users and should be fixed before the first release.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators:
For more information on JIRA, see:


View raw message