lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Klaas" <mike.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for custom Fragmenter when Highlighting
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:41:07 GMT
On 7/18/06, Yonik Seeley <yseeley@gmail.com> wrote:

<>
> I wonder what the default fragment size should be?

FWIW, the current default is 100 and this seems to do a decent job.
We should keep in mind that future Fragmenters might be able to be
more intelligent (take periods into account, for instance).  So the
fragment size might be more of a fragment size hint.

> #model things as properties on fields (with f. being the field namespace)
>
> f.foo.fragsize=0
> f.bar.fragsize=1000
> f.*.fragsize=100   #the default

I like this option the best, though the wildcard specification might
get out of hand.

There could be a top-level namespace:
hl.fragsize = 100 #default
And field-level overrides precisely matching the top-level general params:
f.foo.hl.fragsize = 0

> I wouldn't be putting as much thought into this, but this issue will
> probably come up again and be applicable beyond the specification of
> fragment sizes.
>
> Thoughts?

Have you considered making the query language an XML-base POST'd
language, like updates?  As the language increases in power, this
could improve manageability.  It would also correspond directly with
directives in solrconfig.xml.  A subset of the query language could be
allowed in a GET request.

cheers,
-Mike