lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: response XML
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:52:16 GMT

: I'm curious why this approach was taken rather than a single well-
: formed XML response being returned, and whether changing this is
: acceptable.  It would perhaps also be nice to get some context back
: for each document added, like its unique key, so a response can
: easily be correlated with an <add> other than aligning indexes.

Accepting multiple <docs> in a single <add> was kind of hacked on very
late in Sol[a]r's development.  I don't think Yonik really thought about
the format of the resulting response (or the fact that it's not a valid
document in and of itself.

This was/is accutally the first reported "Apache Solr" bug, still open...

I think if nothing else, the response should be wellformed, and the
outermost tag should be a <result status=""> indicating the result of the
entire add operation.  in the case of multiple docs (or perhaps in all
cases) it can contain a seperate nested <result status=""/> for each doc
... adding an attribute with the uniqueKey (if there is a uniqueKey field
in the schema) would probably be a good idea as well.

-Hoss