lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r378133 - /incubator/solr/trunk/build.xml
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:34:31 GMT
On 2/15/06, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> yonik@apache.org wrote:
> > add example and dist-example targets to build.xml
>
> So you think the example should be a separate download, not part of the
> standard download?  I find multiple downloads confusing and think it
> would be better to focus on a single download that includes a demo.  Do
> you disagree?

My main motivation is to have a .zip that I can point to from the
website that someone can download and immediately run without any
other prereqs (i don't care as much if that's part of the normal
distribution and they have to cd to ./example first).  I also want
this in place relatively soon, so we can notify the lucene community
(also hopefully soon, like in another week).

My main motivation for using a separate solr-example.zip is that I
knew an immediate way to do it (check it into the docs dir, and I'm
done...).   If we want to point new users to a standard download, I
guess that would be the nightly build?  how fast can that be set up?

-Yonik