lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: code contribution
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:42:38 GMT
Hi,

>  It doesn't even have an ant build file anymore.

That'd be good to have, and I'm willing to help write it.

>   - I changed the packages to org.apache.solr, created some new packages
>     and moved some classes around, applied apache license to *java
>   - modified things enough to get it to run under Tomcat 5.5
>   - Some class names still start with Solar, instead of Solr.
>     Should this be changed?

+1 for the same reasons as Doug: now's the time to change them.  And +
1 to solr rather than Solar, for consistency.

> Servlet:
>   - Right now it must be ROOT (just due to URLs in the admin page I think).
>     I assume people will want this changed (should be /solr I guess)

Should be relative URLs so it works with any context path.  But not urgent.

>     In tomcat, if I cd to bin to execute startup.sh, that is where the
>     index directory will be created.

Reliance on the operating system's current working directory is
dangerous.  It can be used as a default perhaps, but solr should
provide a mechanism to indicate where the index directory should be.
Some server admins don't allow the server account write access to the
server's bin directory, and this is actually a good / prudent security
measure.

>   - We had a web.external.xml file that was included via an XML entity
>     into the solr web.xml to allow changes and extensions w/o having
>     to edit the solr one.  This may have to go.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, and should work more or less
universally, so I wouldn't rush to junk it -- there's enough other
work to do ;)

--
Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow