lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Mitchell <goodie...@gmail.com>
Subject solr-ruby - let's get a 1.0!
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:24:05 GMT
Solr-Ruby folks,

A while ago, I started some discussions about updating solr-ruby. Some of
the things I brought up were related to the way that solr-ruby handles param
mapping and response/request handling. Other folks have expressed the need
for jRuby support.

In an effort to get some development happening on this front, Erik Hatcher
created a refectoring branch within the solr-ruby repo. I ended up doing my
own development in a github repository because I had all kinds of nutty
ideas, and didn't want to bombard Erik with patches.

I now have what I'm considering to be a very solid code base, complete with
jRuby support. This library does no param mapping, and no request/response
class mapping; what you put in is what Solr gets, and what Solr returns is
what you get. In addition, it features a http adapter layer, so you can
switch between different http client implementations. The built in adapters
are Net::HTTP and Curb. Etc..

I'm asking the solr-ruby community (YOU!) to please have a look at this
library and offer your thoughts/opinions on it's capabilities and design. Do
you seen this as a possible refectored base for solr-ruby? Is there anything
there that you think could benefit solr-ruby? What are your thoughts on
getting solr-ruby to a 1.0 release?

Here's the library I've been working on:
http://github.com/mwmitchell/rsolr/tree/master

Thanks!

Matt