lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Mitchell" <goodie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: solr ruby code update
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:39:48 GMT
Erik,

I'm glad you like it so far, definitely some things to work out still but
I'm feeling pretty happy with it.

The pagination is real, not just a huge doc set using array cursors. The
library is converting :page and :per_page to "rows" and "start. You use it
by first querying, using the :page and :per_page params like:

result = solr.query(:page=>1, :per_page=>10, :q=>'*:*')
# or "search"
result = solr.search('ipod', :page=>1, :per_page=>10)

The result object now has methods that WillPaginate can hook into, namely:
current_page, total_pages, next_page and previous_page. With those methods,
the will_paginate view helper can create the pagination view widget. Of
course, the :page param would probably be dynamic; in Rails/Merb --
params[:page].

But you bring up a good point about where the pagination should be
"happening". Maybe instead of paginating the top-level "result", it'd be
more intuitive to do it on just a document set like:

result = solr.query(:page=>1, :per_page=>10, :q=>'*:*')
@docs = result.documents

<%= will_paginate(@docs) %>

What do you think?

Thanks for having a look and please do play with it when you get a chance!

Matt